Additions and improvements in Version 8
- New icons and splash screens.
- New file extensions for V8 (*.sl8, *.ml8, *.hl8).
- Touch interface for tablets, including scrolling and zooming.
- Drag and drop to open log files.
- Edit windows can now be resized to use today’s larger screens.
- The Quick Info Bar gives better context information.
- Standardization of edit window layout and controls.
- The minimum recommended screen size is now 1024 x 768.
- Enhancements to context menus give quicker access to editing windows.
- Scrolling improvements for scroll bars, arrow keys, page keys, mouse wheel.
- Zooming with Ctrl + mouse wheel.
- Drag and drop interface for data curve assignment.
- Keyboard short-cuts were added to the File menu and standardized on the Edit & View menus.
- Image flicker when resizing main window.
WellSight Perspective is our latest product. It is a project planning, data recording, and geo-steering tool that brings together data for multiple wells and surrounding features, enabling you to visualize your entire project and all of its relevant data, both as a true 3D scene and using multiple conventional 2D views.
StripLog, HorizontalLog, and MudLog can export survey, lithology, curve data, header, and log images to Perspective with one operation. The exported data can be used to create a new Perspective project, or to update an existing project. Other digital and raster data can also be imported.
The latest Versions of StarLog and Perspective support:
- Windows 7, 8.1, 10
- Windows Server 2008 R2, 2012 R1 & R2, 2016
- Reading log files and project files that were written by previous version of the same program.
Brief Version History
For more details, see the Readme files for each product.
Version 8.2.0 – March 29, 2017
This version of the StarLog suite contains enhancements, mainly to how it exports to WellSight Perspective and to data validation. Perspective has been renamed and given the same version number as StarLog.
Exporting Data from StarLog to Perspective
- Exports and updates to Perspective are now more robust, ensuring that the Perspective project file does not become corrupted when an error occurs.
- Export to Perspective dialog: project file controls were moved to the bottom to be more easily verified before exporting.
- Export/update to Perspective: header images are now linked to the well path for the main survey layer.
Other Enhancements to StarLog
- Save As: prevent user from over-writing a Perspective project file.
- Depths in survey and curve data files are now validated more strictly.
- Units in the K.B. Elevation field (main header) no longer prevent calculation of sub-sea values and exporting a well’s elevation to Perspective.
- Edit Surveys now has a Cancel button, which prompts to save any changes.
- Several minor enhancements and fixes were made to Perspective. See the Perspective Readme file for details.
Version 8.1.1 – November 11, 2016
This version of the StarLog suite contains minor enhancements and problem fixes to StripLog, MudLog, and HorizontalLog.
- The start point of a new poly-line now snaps to grid like the other points.
- HorizontalLog now only displays the context menu for curve scales when the mouse is over a scale.
WellSight GeoSteering (later renamed WellSight Perspective)
- The process of exporting data to WellSight GeoSteering has been made simpler and clearer.
- It is no longer possible to start more than one instance of GeoSteering for the same project.
- If GeoSteering already has your project open, exporting to it from StarLog updates the running program, instead of starting a new one.
- Two or more StarLog programs can now export to the same GeoSteering project at once.
- The Export button now indicates whether the GeoSteering project file already exists.
Version 8.1.0 – August 12, 2016
This version of the StarLog suite contains minor enhancements and problem fixes to StripLog, MudLog, and HorizontalLog.5
- The date format can now be specified in the main header, in which case it is enforced and documented in exported LAS files.
- You can now open sample logs easily from the launch window.
- You can now edit the Geological Lexicon directly from the Edit menu.
Version 8.0.0 – March 7, 2016
This version contains major enhancements to the user interface and usability of all WellSight products, as well as integration with WellSight GeoSteering (later renamed WellSight Perspective).
- Support added for Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 R2 and discontinued for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
- This version of StarLog can export various data to WellSight’s new GeoSteering product.
- User interface enhancements including: touch scrolling and zooming, window sizing, context menus, Quick Info Bar, scrolling & zooming, data curve importing.